Pages

Sunday, October 28, 2012

How to be a GOOD Production Assistant


I have worked as a Production Assistant for several government video production projects. Over the past month, I have learned there is a big difference between being a PA for a small government project and a feature film. Some duties overlap, but most are on opposite ends of the spectrum. For a feature film, there are several types of Production Assistants. There is a production assistant for each and every department that is on a film or television show: Costume PA, Grip PA, Camera PA, etc.

Recently, I am currently working on a full length film called Wish You Well. For this film, I work as a set production assistant. A set production assistant can work both on set and on base camp. When I started working as a set PA, I began spending most of my time on set. I performed lock downs, moved first and second team and assisted other departments when needed. A lock down is guarding or blocking an area and making sure the people around the area are silent once the AD yells, "Rolling." Moving first and second team is a simple process. First team are the main actors of the film, second team are the stand ins for the main actors. Usually a there is a PA assigned to each team. Their job is to make sure they know where the actors are at all times. The PA needs to be prepared to move their team from the holding room, or wherever they are located, to the set when the director calls for them. It is important to stay on top of this at all times. Knowing where your actors are at all times can prevent wasting time.

After a little over a week of working on the film, I became in charge of operating base camp. Base camp is where the actors trailers are, along with hair, make up and wardrobe trailers. My new official duties include making sure the actors flow through hair, make up and wardrobe under a certain allotted amount of time before the actors' set call. This job requires a good sense of time and learning how long it takes for each actor to go through the process.  It is important to know how to communicate with the actors. You may get the opportunity with some well experienced actors. As a PA, you must not over communicate to them. They have done this longer than you. So, learning your boundaries early will keep everyone content. 

Down the road, I do plan on training to be an Assistant Director. I am learning what goes into being one. am learning how to properly complete the paper work and how to operate my surroundings.

There are many factors that go into being a production assistant. If you show the initiative to want to learn, you will be taught. Whether you have been a production assistant for several years or you are just starting out, I recommend The Production Assistant's Pocket Handbook. It was given to me by the Assistant Director I work under. Wish You Well is the first feature I have been assigned to where knowing what to do as a PA is important. This handbook taught me all the fundamentals needed to undertake the duties as a PA.

No comments:

Post a Comment